Springtime will soon be here.
To that end, I thought of a list of plumbing things to be aware of when getting ready for spring and summer:
- Do—Check all of your outside faucets for any leakage.
Before you hook up your sprinkler to the hose and turn it on for the first time, make sure winter's grasp did not take hold of the hose bibb and freeze over the winter. This can lead to a disaster in your wall or crawl space. Hose bibbs may freeze if hoses get left on them during winter, preventing them from draining the water out of them when shut off.
- Don’t—Hook up the sprinkler, turn the water on, and then leave it unattended for hours.
The first time turning the faucet on, you should watch and listen for any water leaking in the wall or crawl space before leaving to get back to mowing the lawn.
- Do—Get your Backflow tested!
Most city water purveyors require this once a year in order to keep our drinking water safe! Call us and we will take care of it!
- Don’t—Wait until the last minute to schedule the backflow test.
Some purveyors can turn your water off if your backflow is not tested on time. This can create a bad household scenario no one wants to see LOL.
- Do—Make an appointment to get your water heater, tankless water heater, and backflow tested simultaneously.
Scheduling all three can save you time and money in the long run. Flushing the sediment out of your water heater can prolong its life considerably, especially if you do not have a water conditioning system. We can also test your water for hardness, iron, and other minerals and suggest equipment to soften or treat your water.
- Don’t—Settle for hard water or iron in your water.
These types of minerals can be easily removed by installing water treatment equipment. Super easy to install, in most cases, and can save you dollars in washing soap, crusty faucets, and sediment in your water heater. We have even had customers that say their hair is more manageable and healthier!
- Do—Call Treasure Valley Plumbing and Drain Service if you need help with any of these jobs. We can handle it for you!